The Jennian Homes Bay of Islands Run/Walk (previously known as the Jennian Homes Mother's Day Paihia Run/Walk) is the second event in the Sport Northland Run/Walk Series that is hosted by Sport Northland Events and is situated in the picturesque Bay of Islands.
This iconic event offers a choice of two run or walk distances – 6km & 8.7km which start and finish in the heart of the coastal town of Paihia. The scenic course encompasses some stunning views across the Bay as you navigate your way along Paihia's waterfront, including access to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds which will have you to taking selfies any chance you can!
The event attracts a diverse range of participants from all walks of life, cultures and ages attracting around 1000 participants annually..
Are you in?
win this car
Sponsored by Pacific Motor Group
It could be YOU driving this epic little roadster...
The Suzuki Swift can only be won by an adult Northlander.
Enter any Run/Walk Series event and/or the Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands Beast event and you will secure yourself a chance to win this awesome 2019 Suzuki Swift!
Pacific Motor Group Whangarei have again put this amazing prize up for grabs and could be ALL YOURS... You just have to run or walk for it!
Enter multiple Run/Walk Series events... then you will get multiple entries to the prize draw!
Thank you Pacific Motor Group
Get the Northland home you’ve always wanted, with NZ’s most awarded franchise builders.
The experienced building team at your local Jennian Homes Northland franchise will ensure your build is on time, on budget, with a high quality finish that stands the test of time.
We can build from your house plans, or work with you to design a new home that’s everything you want it to be, even if you want to make changes along the way. We also have a great selection of quality new build house and land packages throughout Whangarei and Northland.
With a fixed price and completion date, industry-leading guarantees, and Jennian’s 100% home completion commitment, you’ll enjoy a stress-free build. We take care of all the building work for you, so you only need to worry about the exciting part – like choosing colours, textures and fittings.
And when you build with Jennian Homes Northland, you’ll be supporting the work we do in the Northland community, helping organisations like Sport Northland, the Heart Foundation, and Junior Rugby League Northland.
Frequently asked questions
Where is the start?
Both the 8.7km run/walk and 6km walk/walk distances start on Marsden Road (adjacent the Paihia Village Green).
What time does it start?
- To increase safety on the course, start times will be staggered in order of category entered.
- The first category, Runners will start at 9.00am, with each subsequent category, Fast Walkers, Casual Walkers following.
Are there drink stations and toilets on course?
- Drink stations with water will be positioned on the course for the 6km run/walk at the approx. the 2.5km mark and for the 8.7km run/walk at approx. the 3.5km mark.
- Toilets are located on Williams Road (beside the Fire Station), and on Marsden Road (opposite the Paihia Village Green).
- Toilets are located at the 1km mark on course (corner of Marsden and Puketona Road) and at the runners/walkers split at the top of Tau Henare Drive
Can I push a pram?
- Of course, you can. You will be asked this question while filling out the online registration form. If "Yes" you will need to select "Yes".
Can I bring my dog or skateboard?
- Due to Health and Safety planning and the nature of the course, wheeled conveyances (e.g. rollerblades or skateboards) are not permitted in this event.
No dogs permitted.
Race Number Collection?
Unfortunately, due to postage delays we will not be mailing out your race numbers.
Participants must pick up their race numbers from the organised locations below:
Sport Northland - 97 Western Hills Drive, Kensington.
Where does the course go?
- Both the 8.7km run/walk and 6km run/walk incorporate sealed and grass surfaces and take in the coastal track on the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. At the run/walk split on Tau Henare Drive, Waitangi Treaty Grounds, runners will carry on up Tau Henare Drive for a further 1km before turning around at the Golf Course Club House and heading back to the run/walk split to continue around the course.
How do I see my photo's from event day?
Photos taken at the event will be available to view on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/sportnorthlandevents/?ref=bookmarks
How do I qualify for the PaknSave Leader Board?
- The first five men and women finishers from the 8.7km run/walk will be allocated points which will go towards their series total on the Sport Northland Run/Walk Series Leader Board.
- To be eligible for points towards the Leader Board you will need to enter the 8.7km run/walk. You must start at the 8.7km start with the runners.
- For more details on the Pak’nSave Leader Board refer to https://www.sportnorthlandevents.co.nz/leaderboard
Can I listen to my music?
- For your safety, the use of iPods/MP3 players are discouraged. Should you choose to use an iPod/MP3 player during the event, please have the volume at a level that ensures you are aware of your surroundings and other participants.
Is the event timed?
- The event will use a timing system. All adults & children who opted for timing will have their time recorded by an electronic strip connected to the back of their event number.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you are wearing the event number that has been registered to you.
- Please do not mix these up with other participants.
What prizes can I win for fancy dress?
- To be eligible for the fancy dress prize you must obviously be wearing "fancy dress", but still wearing a Heart Foundation for women t-shirt. Thanks to Fullers GreatSights you can win a double pass to the Hole in the Rock Dolphin Watch Cruise.
- To be eligible to win you must complete either the 8.7km or 6km run/walk in your costume with your event number attached to the front of your costume and attend prize giving in costume and have your event number with you.
- Fancy Dress winners will be decided upon by representatives from Jennian Homes and Sport Northland.
What are the prizegiving details?
- Prize giving will be held at 11.00am at the Paihia Village Green.
Participants must be present at prize giving and show their event number to claim their prize.
Due to the restrictions of the Gambling Act on spot prize draws some major prize draws must be conducted by the companies providing the products.
The Suzuki Swift from Pacific Motor Group will be won by an adult Northland entrant in the seven-event series who has opted into the Pacific Motor Group Promotion at time of entry. The winner will be drawn by Pacific Motor Group in November. This draw requires entrants to opt in at the time of entry.
For full terms and conditions for all prize draws can be found online at https://www.sportnorthlandevents.co.nz/
How will I know of cancellation?
- In the unlikely event of cancellation notice will be given on Northland’s More FM 91.6, posted on the home page at https://www.sportnorthlandevents.co.nz/. Where possible attempts will be made to email participants, who have supplied an email address with their entry. While we will endeavour to make a decision to cancel an event as early as possible due to the nature of such events situations can occur quickly and without warning close to the start of an event.
What is the event safety information?
- The event is held on public roads. Always treat all roads as open and expect oncoming and overtaking traffic.
- Please obey all traffic laws and regulations.
- Take extreme care when approaching driveways and side roads – expect vehicles.
- Where there is a lane coned for participants, you are always required to remain within the cones.
- Marshals will be wearing high-visibility vests and are there for your safety. Always follow their instructions and those of the event organisers.
- There will be a lead bike preceding the first participant (for the on-road section of the course) and a tail marshal following the last participant. If assistance is required, please stop and wait for the tail marshal or notify the nearest marshal.
- No animals (except guide dogs) are permitted to accompany participants during the event.
- Footpaths and footbridges are to be used where available.
- Children under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
Refunds & Distance Tranfers?
75% refund - individuals withdrawing from the 18th of April through to the 17th of June 2020.
50% refund - individuals withdrawing from the 18th of June through to the 16th of July 2020.
25% refund - individuals withdrawing from the 17th of July through to the 17th of September 2020.
No Refunds from the 18th of September 2020
Why can’t I get all my money back?
About 60-70% of costs are incurred (and spent!) well before race week begins. There are staff costs (wages), purchasing capital items (like a start gantry), marketing, accommodation, clothing, medals, timing.... the list goes on.
The big 'hidden' (because you will never see them) costs are associated with health and safety compliance, operational planning, people planning, landowner access etc. These can (and do) add up to hundreds of hours of work.
We are runners/walkers just like yourself who also enter events and understand from a participant point of view the frustrations of asking for a refund therefor we have done a bit of research and we believe we offer one of the fairest refund policies around.
For more information on our refunds policy please follow this link here
Transferring to another distance within the same event
Please email email@example.com with a brief explanation of your distance transfer request.
You cannot transfer to a sold-out event distance.
If you decide to upgrade your distance and space is available, you will need to pay the difference of the current entry fees.
If you decide to downgrade your event distance and space is available, we are not able to refund the difference in entry fees.
When transferring between distances you will be allocated a new race number. Race numbers are generally coloured differently to allow us to easily identify which distance you are participating in.
If race numbers have been ordered before your request to upgrade or downgrade (your distance) is made, then you will be charged $5 for a new one.
If race numbers have not been ordered, then your new race number will be free.
Generally, race numbers are ordered 24 day prior to the event.